Friday, September 28, 2012

Tea and Chili

Edit: Thank you so much to Mark (Liesl's dad) for recovering my last post which I'd accidentally deleted somehow. I spent forever trying to get it back, and I thought it was gone for good, but upon checking my email this morning I discovered that he'd found it for me. Yay!

Anyway. So we went to our friend's house and that's where we've been the past three days. We met her daughter, Lilly, who's adorable and really funny. She's four. We also had some chocolate veggie-chili. The chocolate is for the color. It was really yummy. On the note of food, we've been drinking way too much tea, honestly. More than three cups a day of caffeinated, very sugary tea. But this is England, so if you're not drinking tea, living in a castle, or hanging out with the queen--or doing all three simultaneously--what are you doing?

We're now in a hostel in Bristol--a different one than the one we stayed in before. We're leaving for Ireland on Monday morning. I'll tell you  more about that when we get there and see where we're staying and all.

Not to be melodramatic, but I feel like our trip could quite easily be entitled "A Series of Unfortunate Events." (I've never actually read those books--I think I heard the first one as an audiobook--but I've heard that they're quite good). Honestly, though we've had a lot of fun, we've also had a lot of failure. We keep fucking losing things too.

First we accidentally threw away our silverware right before beginning our failed hike. Then we left Liesl's guitar on a bus. Today, we left our food, our cooking pots and some henna that we'd just bought on a bus in Bristol. I know this makes us sound like we're total idiots--we're really not. It's just deceptively difficult to remember everything when you're carrying a 40 lb backpack and getting directions from people that seriously don't ever even know what street they're on.

We're so ready to get out of this country. Every day something happens that makes our lives more difficult and/or (usually and) makes us spend more money. I'm excited to be back here later when we've got our act together, but right now I'm ready to leave. It's not the country, it's just the situation. And our situation in Ireland is a stable place to live for the whole time we're there, so we're hoping that that's where the majority of our troubles end.

We spent some time exploring Bristol this week. We saw some Banksy art, which was cool.


We went through Castle Park again too. It seems like we always end up passing through it for one reason or another. The castle is again a ruin, which I didn't know. It's cool though.


This is what was posted on one of the windows:


How does that even work? Honestly, this country has too many castles for its own good, they're crumbling in the parks, they're converted to train stations...it's crazy. (The Bristol train station is basically a castle, it's really cool). It'd be so sick to actually live in a castle though, I'd love that. The rent probably wouldn't even be so bad for one here either, since there are so many.

One of my highlights of the week was buying this album, on the day that it was released in the UK.


It's really good, I highly recommend it. This is my favorite song at the moment. I really hope that Blaqk Audio comes to the UK while I'm here.

Update: Remember Liesl's thumb? It's still numb. She used to give me daily updates on it--usually multiple times a day. For a little while it was getting a bit better, now it's been the same for a while, still partly numb. She gotten bitten nearly two weeks. Tonight is her two-weeks-a-versary. Send her gifts!

Speaking of anniversaries, September 27th was my three year vegetarian anniversary (yay), as well as my dog Sterling's birthday. He's seven, aw.

Additionally, Liesl smoked hopefully her last cigarette yesterday. She bought a bunch of packs at Duty Free in the Los Angeles airport, planning to smoke them all and then stop. She finished them off yesterday, and she'll be participating in Stoptober, a UK quit-smoking-in-October support group thing. Good luck Liesl! (And good luck Stephanie, you know how people's emotions can get when they quit smoking...).

Anyway, we haven't been up to much as of late, so that's it for now. If all goes well, we'll be in Ireland next time I post. We'll have our own apartment there, and we'll actually be able to unpack our things! Not just throw them on the ground and cram them back into our packs every time we need to up and go someplace else. Won't that be lovely?

Cheers,

Stephanie




No comments:

Post a Comment